| Award and another top award from the Banff Festival of Mountain Books.
Anyone who wants to know about North America’s mountaineers--from the Native Americans and the early pioneers to the modern super-climbers of today--will find this book to be an enlightening narrative, a definitive resource, and a great read.
Click here to read an excerpt.
• Conceptually innovative structure based on the four stages of mountaineering--summiting, technical mountaineering, style simplification, and athletic achievement.
• Personalities, anecdotes, trends, legends, discoveries and the peaks themselves woven into 14 concise chapters that tell the big picture of how the game of mountaineering has evolved.
• Classic photographs and illustrations bring every section to graphic life. Many images are from the first ascents of our most important routes, including many never published before.
• Each chapter concludes with the legacy routes of that period, descriptions and advice for the modern climber.
• Dual forewords by Peter Croft and Barry Blanchard
• Soft cover, 334 pages, with 353 photographs from every decade and every segment of the continent
• Published by The American Alpine Club, in partnership with The Alpine Club of Canada
• $24.95 + $5 Shipping
If you would like Andy to inscribe a personal or gift note on your book, type your request in the "Special Notes" section of your order.
NEXT BOOK >